Saturday, February 5, 2011

Food worries.

I'm sick to death of worrying about food. Where it comes from, what is on it. What they grow it in. And the taste. If it's not meat, fruit or vegetables, I worry what they put in it. I'm a picky person, I'll admit it. I tried buying local. I want to support my local farms. It's more than being picky though, it's about sustainability. I want to provide for my family and have my extended family and neighbors benefit from my labors.

Farms. It it hurts knowing that the blocks of soil open to the sun & wind are losing more fertility than is being put in it. Chemical warfare, right down the street. We eat it. We breathe it. Sighs.

Annual beds are hard work. I'm all pumped up for the gardening season and go a good 2000% for the first month or so, but by the end of the season my crops are fending for themselves and sometimes, more often than not I don't even pick them. Nope my children get there first. Tomatoes, apples, peppers, peas and other precious vegetables and fruits all strewn about the lawn rotting for a week before I get myself outside to do what needed to be done.

So all annual beds? No. I want perennials, vegetables, herbs, fruits and nuts. There's perennial vegetables? Yes there is. Check out the book "Perennial Vegetables" By Eric Toensmeier. I will interplant some annuals with my perennials throughout the garden.

Goals of my garden;

  • self-sufficiency & sustainability
  • fresh food for our family
  • building soil fertility
  • provide privacy
  • provide a safe haven for our family, insects and local animal life

No comments:

Post a Comment