Friday, March 11, 2011

My food forest part 1 with pictures

So it's March and there is snow on the ground off and on. Today was unusually warm, so me and two of my kiddos started prepping for our second faze of our food forest.


What took me a several weeks to get done last summer/fall I've already done today. I used my most favorite garden tool, my handy digging fork and loosened a 10 x 15 area. I have oh so much more to do but it felt so good to be out, working hard in my dirt.



In a week I need all my loosening done. I have a 12 yard screened topsoil, mulch mix coming. I will do my sheet mulching and prep most of the beds with a cover crop. (In between the snow/melting) Here is a quick walk around at my current yard. From front yard, left side yard, and my back yard looking towards my prepped food forest from last fall, and lastly in the corner my current annual garden beds with grapes in the back and two espelir apple trees against my house.



In the next month I will have trees and shrubs to plant. I'm thinking a black locust, peach, cherry tree base to my food forest. We love both peaches and cherries and the black locust is a nitrogen fixing tree that's pods can be ground for forage for animals.

In May I will plant all those little plants growing in my basement. Voila my food forest part 1 will be well on it's way.

No comments:

Post a Comment